Monday, November 17, 2008

My farewell to the Columbia Basin Herald

This was my final column published in the Columbia Basin Herald, Nov. 10th:

The lessons in 'I'll never ... '

By Jonda Spurbeck
Herald staff writer

Life has taught me many lessons like, never pass 14 cars in a row and give the "bird" to the motor home driving 45 mph in a 60 mph zone on your way to Pullman.

That "bird" left me stranded four miles down the road with a blown-out fan belt.

The motor home honked as it passed, and I've kept that "bird" caged ever since.

Of all the lessons I've learned, the most important one is don't say "I'll never ..."
My life has been haunted by all the things I've said that "I'll never" do. I consider it both a blessing and a curse.

My favorites are the classic "I'll never live in a small town," "I'll never own a dog that has to live indoors," or my personal best "I'll never marry an 'old guy.'" The list goes on and on.

It's like a higher power sits waiting for the next "I'll never" to fall from my lips, just to show me that "I will."

My success rate is so high that I've started saying "I'll never" just to tempt fate. Every other day I throw out an "I'll never win the lotto" just in case someone is listening.

Of all the things "I'll never" has brought into my life I consider my husband to be the ultimate gift. I'm sure I said "I'll never get this guy to marry me" a million times before he finally came to his senses.

It is because of him, and my wonderful family, that I am venturing out to try things I thought "I'll never" be able to do.

As you read this I have left the Columbia Basin Herald family with the intentions of pursuing my passion for photography.

After photographing my first wedding I thought it was beginners' luck, and following my second I said my famous last words, "I'll never do this again."

Now several weddings later, I can't get enough of the laughter, tears, "I do"s and cake fights. I typically walk away from the weddings thinking "I'll never see another couple so in love."

They're simply inspiring.

While leaving the paper I know better than to say "I'll never write again" or "I'll never be back." I have seen many co-workers walk out the front door only to return multiple times.

So, as I quietly slip out that door I think to myself, "I'm sure I'll never get the chance to photograph Matthew McConaughey."

I'm all smiles.

Jonda Spurbeck was the Columbia Basin Herald design chief. As she ventures forth, she continues to have the support of her former co-workers.

No comments: